Español Ayuda

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to learn, ask questions, and help others when it comes to learning and understanding the Spanish language.

Por vs. Para

Lyssarie
    Lyssarie
    Admin

Por vs. Para Empty Por vs. Para

Post by Lyssarie Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:49 pm

In this lesson, you will learn how to differentiate between when to use 'por' and when to use 'para' when writing sentences in Spanish! 

Usually, we think of the words 'por' and 'para' as meaning the English word 'for'. However, this isn't always the case. 'Por' and 'para' can also mean 'by', 'through', 'in order to', 'on', and several other phrases. Remembering when to use 'por' and when to use 'para' can be really confusing, so it takes lots of practice and memorization! 

Using 'Por'

• Motion/Place - A motion, or a place where an action is occurring (They run through the hallway. = Corren por la pasillo.)
    • Manner - How an action is being done (She traveled to Florida by air. = Ella viajó a Florida por aire.)
    • Exchange/Substitution - Something is done in exchange for something else (I gave him two dollars for the book. = Le di dos dólares por el libro.)
    • Duration - How long an action happens (I work for five hours tomorrow. = Yo trabajo por cinco horas mañana.)
    • Indefinite Time Period - Period of time in which an action still happens with a definite ending (I go to school in the mornings. = Voy a la escuela por las mañanas.)
    • On Behalf - An action occurring for someone else (My mother made lunch for me. = Mi madre hizo el almuerzo por mi.)
    • Per - Detail about an action (At Taco Bell, I am paid per hour. = En Taco Bell, me pagan por hora.)

Using 'Para'

• Destination/Place - A place someone is going to (I am leaving for Florida tomorrow. = Me voy para Florida mañana.)
    • Destination/Person - To whom something is going to (This hat is for my mother. = Este sombrero es para mi madre.)
    • Future Time Limit - A due date for an action (My homework is for next week. = Mi tarea es para la próxima semana.)
    • Purpose - the reason why an action occurs (I run to stay in shape. = Yo corro para mantenerme en forma.)
    • Function - The reason something has been created (The toothbrush is for my teeth. = El cepillo de dientes es para mis dientes.)
    • Comparisons - Comparing a person or thing (She runs fast for her height. = Ella corre rápido para su edad.)
    • Opinions - The opinions of someone (The dress is too ugly for me. = El vestido es feo para mí.)

There are many different types of sentences for using 'por' and 'para', but a good tactic to differentiate between the two is to memorize when to use 'para', and just use 'por' for everything else

If you have any questions about when to use 'por' and when to use 'para', feel free to make a post here and ask!

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 10:11 am