Español Ayuda

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to learn, ask questions, and help others when it comes to learning and understanding the Spanish language.

Future Tense Conjugations

Lyssarie
    Lyssarie
    Admin

Future Tense Conjugations Empty Future Tense Conjugations

Post by Lyssarie Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:01 pm

On this page, you will find all of the information you'll need to learn how to conjugate Spanish verbs in the future tense. The future tense is used to describe any action that will happen in the future. For example:

I will run to the store.
    The girls will buy clothes.

The bolded verbs above are verbs in the future tense. If we were to write the above sentences in Spanish, we would conjugate them according to the future tense rules. But what are these rules?

In Spanish, there are generally three possible endings to a basic verb: -ar, -er, and -ir. Most verbs in the Spanish language end with one of these three endings, and each ending has a rule for how to conjugate it. Unlike verbs in the present, preterite, and imperfect tenses, all verbs in the future tense, no matter if they end in -ar, -er, or -ir verbs, are conjugated in the same way. Because of this, the future tense is one of the easiest to learn!

Also, conjugation depends on the subject of your sentence. In Spanish, there are usually six different types of subjects:

yo  =  Inosotros   =  we
    tú   =   youvosotros   =   you all (Spain)
     él/ella/usted   =   he/she/it     ellos/ellas/ustedes   =   they      

Now that you know the basics, you can start learning the rules of future tense conjugation! In the charts below, you will find information on how to conjugate in the future tense for -ar, -er, and -ir verbs based on what the subject of your sentence is.

-ar, -er, and -ir verbs

yo   =   énosotros   =   emos
    tú   =   ásvosotros   =   éis
       él/ella/usted   =   á    ellos/ellas/ustedes   =   án    

• To conjugate -ar, -er, and -ir verbs in the future tense, you simply add the ending that matches the subject of the sentence. This will look a little silly, but I promise you're doing it right!
    • Example: In the sentence, "I will run to the store," the subject is I and the verb is will run. The Spanish word for 'run' is correr, but the words 'will run' describes an event that is happening in the future, so we will use the future tense. To conjugate this verb in the future to match the subject, 'I', we would just add the 'I' ending, . This turns the verb 'correr' into 'correré'. Therefore, the sentence, "I will run to the store," in Spanish will be, "Yo correré a la tienda."
    • Example: In the sentence, "The girls will buy clothes," the subject is girls and the verb is will buy. The Spanish word for 'buy' is comprar, but the words 'will buy' describe an action happening in the future, so we will use the future tense. To conjugate this verb in the future to match the subject, 'girls', we would add just the 'they' ending, -án. This turns the verb 'comprar' into 'comprarán'. Therefore, the sentence, "The girls will buy clothes," in Spanish will be, "Las chicas comprarán ropas."
    • Example: In the sentence, "We will live in Florida," the subject is we and the verb is will live. The Spanish word for 'live' is vivir, but the words 'will buy' describe an action in the future, so we will use the future tense. To conjugate this verb in the future to match the subject, 'we', we would just add the 'we' ending, emos. This turns the verb 'vivir' into 'viviremos'. Therefore, the sentence, "We will live in Florida," in Spanish will be, "Nosotros viviremos en Florida."

And there you have it! That's all you really need to know about conjugating verbs in the future tense. However, there are a few irregular verbs that don't quite follow these rules, but we'll talk about those in a different lesson! Now, you're one step closer to knowing the Spanish language! Do you have questions? Click here to make a post and ask!

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 3:51 pm